NeSmith Nursery Garden Almanac
For business hours and maps to our garden centers, see our locations.
The gardening tips and advice offered by NeSmith Nursery on this page are to help you be successful in your gardening and landscape adventures. We hope these prove to be beneficial to you.
Monthly Gardening Advice
- Monitor your lawn and garden for water needs. To maintain the beauty of your landscape it is much better to give a weekly deep soaking to your grass and plants than frequent light watering. Pay attention to any state or local water restrictions.
- Be sure plants have adequate mulch to maintain moisture and keep roots of plant cooler.
- Continue to monitor lawns for insect damage.
- Continue to pinch back your chrysanthemums this month for a fuller plant with more blooms.
- After crape myrtles bloom cut of tip of branch just below the faded blooms and they will bloom again.
- Watch for lace bugs on azaleas. They can be controlled with ferti-lome Azalea, Camellia, Crape Myrtle Spray. Read label for instructions on application.
- Cut back Wisteria to encourage next years bloom.
- Continue spraying roses with ferti-lome Liquid Systemic Fungicide every 10-14 days. Read label for instructions on application.
- Continue monthly feeding of roses with ferti-lome Rose and Flower Food.
- Treat fire ant mounds with Ferti-lome Come and Get It Fire Ant Killer.
- Feed the birds.
- Plant container grown trees and shrubs. Pay closer attention to watering needs.
- Continue your fertilization of annuals with ferti-lome Bedding Plant Food at 4-6 week intervals.
Come and enjoy a few minutes or a few hours at either of the NeSmith Nursery locations. We guarantee it to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.